Directions: Match the description with the correct crop. Each crop only matches with one description.
- By weight, which crop is the world’s most produced grain?
- What grain covers more of Earth’s surface than any other crop?
- Half of the world’s population depend on which grain as a A. Sorghum
staple? (Hint: China, Indonesia, India, and Thailand produce the B. Cassava
majority of this crop.) C. Wheat
- What cool climate crop comes in hundreds of varieties and D. Soybean
colors? E. Potato
- What starchy root provides the bulk of calories in poor regions F. Corn
of Africa and is poisonous if eaten raw? G. Sweet Potato
- What is the only staple crop to contain all of the proteins H. Yam
essential to a human diet? I. Plantain
- Produced mainly in Asia, what root varies in color from orange J. Rice
to white and is an excellent source of vitamins A and C.
- What grain can grow in hot, arid environments that are too
harsh for other staple crops to thrive? (Hint: This grain is a diet
staple of the poor in Asia, Africa, and Central America.)
- What tuber can grow to nearly five feet in length?
- What tropically grown crop is a perennial?
Match the photos of the seeds or tubers with the question and answer!
Grain Photos: USDA